Application Support Manager
£60,000 to £70,000
Reporting to Head of Programmes
Monday to Friday 08:45 to 17:00
Due to our continued success as one of the country’s leading suppliers of heavy commercial vehicles we have a new and exciting opportunity for Application Support Manager to join the team based at our Head Office in Milton Keynes.
This role will be part of IT Programme Delivery Team and is a leadership role for the enterprise. The role of Application Support Manager manages the application group that has specific responsibility for building or configuring, maintaining or enhancing, and eventually decommissioning applications through their life cycle. This role should
Essential Duties and Job Responsibilities
Leadership and Management
The Application Support Manager role will oversee all activities that optimize the value, cost and risk of applications:
- Provide leadership, vision and direction to the applications organization to ensure it will contribute to the company achieving its goals.
- Work with Head of Programmes and CIO to develop overall IT strategy in the context of the business strategy.
- Develop productive relationships with business leaders across the organization to influence how applications can enable new sources of value.
- Define and enhance methodologies and practices for the application life cycle management in line with best practice and practical experience of continuous improvement.
- Provide support and facilitate innovative and experimental application work to test new ideas with bounded cost and time frames.
- Ensure that applications processes (including those of external service providers) are conducted in line with corporate social responsibility, environmental and technical policies and applicable standards and legislation.
- Manage application group personnel, developing their skills and capabilities to meet the needs of the organization, as well as building on existing recruiting capabilities to address new needs and skills gaps.
- Implement and manage application life cycle management status reporting, metrics and benchmarks.
- Manage relationships with major vendors and service providers to ensure they cost-effectively meet the needs of the organization.
- Conduct regular surveys of stakeholder satisfaction with applications, publish the results and, where necessary, implement action plans to improve satisfaction.
Application Governance, Strategy and Delivery
The Application Support Manager role primary responsibility is to ensure the applications cost-effectively meet the needs of the business by:
- Overseeing the assessment of the technical and business fitness of the application portfolio and their associated costs and risks.
- Facilitating the application governance process to gain consensus on a prioritized set of measurable business outcomes that applications must support.
- Working with stakeholders and the application governance council to define a prioritized set of business outcomes and application work to accomplish those outcomes within the limitations of the application budget.
- Working with stakeholders to accomplish this application work in a way that improves the business and technical fitness of the application portfolio and minimizes its ongoing support costs.
- Overseeing the application organization's successful delivery of these business outcomes in partnership with business colleagues.
- Overseeing benefits realization to ensure that business outcomes are achieved.
- Overseeing support activities in conjunction with infrastructure and operations to ensure the applications perform well in production.
- Overseeing development of processes and tools in conjunction with infrastructure and operations to automate the handoff of code releases from development to operations (DevOps).
- Working with the chief information security officer (CISO) to ensure that the organization's applications are effectively secured and that risks are mitigated.
- Ensure that the organization's applications are effectively secured and that risks are mitigated to ensure compliance with legal and corporate privacy and confidentiality rules.
- Manage and maintain application portfolio across various business functions including Finance, HR, Marketing, Sales, Services and IT
Budgeting, Finance and Administration
The Application Support Manager role will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the application organization (including staffing, budgeting and other relevant management functions) and is required to hold all application delivery teams accountable for optimizing the cost, risk and value of applications throughout their life cycle.
Behaviours and Competencies
The Application Support Manager role acts in a leadership role and must demonstrate the following leadership attributes:
- High levels of personal integrity when conducting the professional affairs of the organization and dealing with sensitive and confidential data relating to risks and costs.
- Calmness and clarity of thought while under pressure.
- The ability to uphold the goals and culture of the organization.
- The ability to lead, enable and motivate teams by providing advice and guidance in a nonjudgmental fashion.
- An understanding of strategic business objectives and the ability to drive results toward those objectives.
- Openness to, and the ability to deal with, rapid change in business needs, processes and technologies.
Education and Training
- An undergraduate or postgraduate degree in computer science, engineering, finance, business management or a related field.
The Application Support Manager role must be able to demonstrate the following:
- Strong communication skills with a proven ability to understand key concepts and communicate effectively with technical staff, business stakeholders and senior management.
- Proven ability to communicate technical concepts to nontechnical people to enhance understanding and drive decisions that lead to positive outcomes.
- Proven ability to collaborate, build relationships and influence individuals at all levels in a matrix-management environment (as well as external vendors and service providers) to ensure that segregation and overlapping roles are identified and coordinated.
- Strong organizational skills, the ability to perform under pressure and management of multiple priorities with competing demands for resources.
- Strong analytical, data-processing and problem-solving skills.
- Proficiency in process formulation and improvement.
The Application Support Manager role must have in-depth knowledge and experience of the following:
- Financial accounting and reporting practices applicable to applications, costs and risks.
- IT contracts and their likely cost implications.
- Engagement with procurement and legal contract advisors for additional information.
- IT applications, operations, service and support organizations.
- Data processing, analysis and quality management tools.
- Development and implementation of processes and policies.
- ITIL, Lean IT, agile development, Prince2 project management and DevOps principles and frameworks.
- Automotive industry-specific and regulatory knowledge or qualifications is desirable.
Experience / skills regarded as ideal but not essential
The following experience is considered essential: