Reporting to the Head of Legal
Salary – £17,000 to £20,000 + Company Incentive Scheme + Excellent Benefits Package
Fixed Term Contract – 12 Months
Due to our continued success as one of the country’s leading suppliers of heavy commercial vehicles we have an exciting opportunity for a Health and Safety Paralegal. The successful applicant will provide support to the Legal and Compliance Team in reviewing Regulatory policies to ensure Scania continually operates at best practice standard.
The role of Health and Safety Paralegal will include liaising with insurers, external advisors and employees in relation to investigations and claims. The role will support lawyers in Safety Health and Environment regulatory work. We have a busy Legal and Compliance department and the role will involve a range of health and safety, fire and motoring regulatory review.
This successful candidate will be presented with an invaluable opportunity to work as part of a team involved in a large project and to develop technical expertise in regulatory and criminal law.
Essential Duties and Job Responsibilities
Below is a list of the key areas of the job but it is not exhaustive and job holders may be required to carry out other tasks at the request of their manager.
Research tasks and case management in a both advisory and defence work.
Development and review of policy documentation and best practice standards, liaising with key stakeholders and external advisors to ensure co-ordinated approach to HSE best practice.
The work will be both contentious and non contentious in its nature, including assisting on occasion with client training, and will largely be task driven.
Some opportunity to develop court experience, assisting fee earners at inquests and trials or other hearings in Court.
Role will include preparation of case papers for court bundles and instructions to counsel and expert, assisting fee earners in the arrangement of hearings, conferences and the instruction of experts.
Keep case management systems and diaries updated with diary dates as required by the case.
Handle confidential information in line with Scania's data security protocols.
Education and/or Experience
- A legal background (either undergoing or completed the LPC or completing the CILEx courses) with a desire to pursue a career in law and an interest in regulatory law. Previous experience in regulatory work preferable though not essential.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent research skills.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Ability to work independently and to use initiative to further processes and tasks, seeking guidance and input from others where appropriate.
- Able to work to deadlines, prioritise own workload effectively under pressure and manage conflicting priorities.
- Proactive and energetic with a tenacious approach to identifying issues and solving problems.
- Strong organisation and planning skills.
- Experience in the use of Microsoft Office, including Excel & PowerPoint.
- Willingness to work out of hours where required to provide support to the SHE team and potentially on site visit.
- Quality and customer service oriented with a concern for accuracy and an eye for detail.
- A preference to have full driving licence and a need to be prepared to travel.
Working for Scania is not just about the job. It’s about you too, and this is where the company goes the extra mile, and provides an industry leading employment package.
Excellent benefits package including Pension Scheme, Complementary Life Insurance, Financial Incentive Schemes, discounts on major retail outlets including groceries. For a full breakdown of benefits; please visit our website and follow the careers link.
At Scania we invest considerably in staff development and training and you can expect to receive comprehensive training to provide opportunities for career progression not only in the UK but throughout our Global organisation.
Scania is dedicated to delivering exceptional products and services to our customers and the successful candidate will reflect our core values; Customer First, Respect for the Individual, Elimination of Waste, Determination, Team Spirit and Integrity in all we do.
If you feel you have the skills and expertise for this challenging role then please apply today.
Scania (Great Britain) Ltd is an equal opportunities employer.
**Strictly No Recruitment Agencies**